Sunday, June 19, 2011

カステラ

Castella has been one of my favorite oyatsus since I was a kid.  So I decided to take a crack at it.. see if I can make it, you know?  I randomly googled a recipe because I couldn't find a straightforward one on Foodgawker, and ended up with this one.  I found one on ためしてガッテン (which seemed more legit) but wasn't really feeling like converting from grams to cups.  Next time, I think I'll try the other one though, to see if it's better.

I made them in cupcake form because I didn't have a cake pan.  It worked out, but I think it's better in cake form.  Also, I put too much flour in it because I was worried about the consistency of the batter (it was really runny, but I guess that's just what castella batter is like) so the cake ended up being a little too packed rather than the fluffy spongy texture that it usually is.  It turned out well though, and something that I could definitely make again.  I'm loving the fact that I will no longer have to buy overpriced castella in the store whenever I'm feeling a kick of nostalgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment